Volunteers make a world of difference in the lives of our campers. Each summer, students from across the Greater Toronto Area give generously of their time and skills to make valuable contributions to life at Camp.
Volunteers work directly with our campers under the supervision of our full-time staff. They assist with the facilitation and leadership of camp activities, and are given opportunities to lead some programs on their own (with staff supervision).
Ryerson Summer Day Camp volunteers are a minimum of 16 years of age, and are secondary school students or graduates. They have a passion for working with children and youth, and many have previous experience working with young people.
Volunteer opportunities are available for a minimum of one week per person, and volunteers are expected to be available for the full Camp day (9:00 – 5:00 pm). A full week of volunteer service means that volunteer receive 35 hours that they can put towards the volunteer hour requirement to receive their secondary school diploma.
Benefits of Volunteering
Connect with others
- Make new friends from diverse backgrounds
- Increase your social and relationship skills
- Understand people better
- Learn to motivate others
- Have fun being part of a team
Good for your mind and body
- Fosters self-confidence
- Exercise – days at Camp are active!
- Develop your problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Gain communication skills, a huge benefit that can be used in all aspects of your life
- Volunteering is proven to reduce stress, and increase feelings of optimism and joy
- Being involved in something that makes a difference is rewarding and feels good!
Develop professional skills
- Learn valuable job skills
- Gain experience if you are interested in being a teacher, youth worker, recreational professional, or coach.
- Find out that you have skills you may not have realized that you possessed
- Understand the needs of others, and develop empathy and compassion
- We can provide letters of reference after you volunteer – just ask us!
How To Apply
We carefully select our volunteer team, and only have space for six volunteers each week during the Day Camp season. If you are interested in volunteering, please:
- Contact Camp Coordinator Mike Stewart (firstname.lastname@example.org; 416-979-5000 ext. 3334) to request our Volunteer Guide and application form.
- Complete and return your application form to Mike, along with a copy of your resume.
- We may schedule an interview with you in person, over the phone, or by Skype.
Please note that volunteers are expected to successfully complete a criminal background check on their own time, and must submit proof of this to us at least one month prior to the start of their time at camp.